February 24, 2024

South West News

South West News from Gloucestershire to Cornwall

Free advice on heating your home this winter

Cornwall Council is reminding residents who may be concerned about rising energy prices that free and independent advice on fuel bills and home heating is at hand. 

Together with partners including NHS Kernow Clinical Commissioning Group the Council runs a Winter Wellbeing programme to help people stay warm, safe and well during the colder months. 

Help to keep well and stay warm this winter

Anyone with underlying health issues and who is worried about their home being cold or damp can get in touch with Community Energy Plus who can give advice on heating and insulation grants, reducing your energy bills and combatting condensation among other ways to create a warmer, healthier home. 

For homes that have never had central heating there is a scheme that has already helped over a thousand households in Cornwall stay warm and well. 

Applications are now open for the Council’s ‘Warm Homes Fund’ supported by Inclusion Cornwall, Community Energy Plus, OVO Energy and other partners to help residents from households with no central heating, who are in poor health, or at risk of poor health. 

Please contact 0800 954 1956 or email to advice@cep.org.uk to see if you qualify for this scheme or would like independent energy advice and access to services provided by over 30 partner organisations. 

There are also Winter Wellbeing guides packed with tips and information on staying warm and well: 

In Cornwall fuel poverty affects more than a tenth of all households which is above the England average. 

Councillor Andy Virr, Cornwall’s cabinet member for public health and adults, said: “Many people are already facing challenges to keep their homes warm during the cold winter months and big rises in energy bills will add to that problem. 

“Please get in touch if you or someone you care for is worried about fuel bills or how to stay warm this winter and we will do all we can to help.”  

More information is available on Cornwall Council’s website